You are here
- 2 x 425g cans Saldanha Middlecut OR Pilchards
- 3 slices wholewheat bread
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp curry powder OR curry paste
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- ¼ cup chutney
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 extra large eggs
- ½ cup cream or milk
- 3 bay leaves
- Drain and break middlecut or pilchards into large pieces.
- Soak bread in milk.
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the curry powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the middlecut or pilchards, bread, jam, chutney and two beaten eggs.
- Mix all together and season to taste.
- Place in a greased casserole dish.
- For the topping, beat the eggs and milk together.
- Pour over the bobotie.
- Stick the bay leaves into the bobotie.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180˚C for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with slices of lemon or parsley.
Takes about 40 minutes.
6 - 8