You are here
- 2 x 400g cans Saldanha Middlecut OR Pilchards
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 – 5 chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 x 410g can chickpeas, drained
- 4 tomatoes, grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- Coriander and curry leaves, to garnish
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Heat oil in a flat bottomed pot or frying pan and fry onions until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and all the spices, stirring for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add potato cubes to onion and stir frequently until softened.
- Add all the spices - garam masala, garlic, chilli, cumin, turmeric, curry powder and coriander and stir for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the grated tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and salt to taste.
- Add chickpeas and flaked middlecut, and heat through.
- Do not stir the curry.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with coriander leaves.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Takes about 15 minutes.