You are here
- 1 x 400g can Saldanha Pilchards in Tomato Sauce OR Hot Chilli Sauce
- 500g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Cheddar cheese, for topping
- Mix the flour and herbs in a bowl.
- Mash the pilchards with their sauce and add to the flour and herb mixture.
- Mix this together with the buttermilk and salt to taste.
- Mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 45 - 60 minutes at 180ºC.
- Serve hot with grated cheddar cheese.
Optional: Serve with a herb and garlic butter made from 2 tbsp freshly chopped mixed herbs and 2 cruched garlic cloves, mixed into 125g softened butter.
Takes about 60 minutes.