You are here
- 2 x 400g cans Saldanha Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 - 6 baby marrows, sliced at an angle
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1cm strips
- 200g lasagne sheets, soaked in boiling water
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 125g margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated mature cheddar cheese
- Fry or roast the red pepper and baby marrows until soft.
- Fry the onion and garlic in oil.
- Roughly flake the pilchards in their sauce and add to the onion.
- Season to taste.
- Remove from stove.
- To make the white sauce, melt the margarine in a pot and add the flour to make a paste.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring thoroughly to avoid lumps.
- Leave the sauce on a low heat, stirring occasionally until thick. Season to taste and stir in most of the cheese.
- Grease a rectangular dish and cover the bottom with a layer of white sauce.
- Place the sheets of lasagne on top of the white sauce, followed by a layer of pilchards and a layer of roasted red peppers and baby marrow.
- Repeat these layers, ending off with a layer of lasagne and top with white sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top and bake for 30 minutes at 180ºC.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with salad.
Takes about 60 minutes.