You are here
Tuna Fish Cakes
- 2 x 185g cans Saldanha Flaked Light Meat Tuna in Brine and Vegetable Oil with Lemon and Black Pepper, drained
- 3 slices wholewheat bread, crusts removed and crumbled
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp green pepper, finely chopped
- 30ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls fresh rocket leaves
- ½ cup flour, for dusting fish cakes
- 3 tbsp oil for mixture
- ½ cup vegetable oil, to fry fish cakes in
- Half an avocado, cubed
- 2 red spring onions OR half a small red onion, finely sliced or chopped
- Half a papino, cubed
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 small red chilli, chopped - optional
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients for the fish cakes together and shape into patties.
- Dust with flour.
- Preheat oil in a heavy based pan.
- Fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- For the salsa, mix all the ingredients together.
- Place rocket leaves on plate and top with 2 fish cakes.
- Serve with the salsa and a wedge of lemon.
Takes about 40 minutes.
Optional: Instead of salsa, serve fish cakes with 60ml mayonnaise mixed with 2 chopped spring onions, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Tasty tip: Serve with a salad or grilled vegetables in season.