- Roll out the pastry and line a greased pie plate OR mix the flour, butter and salt together and line the greased pie plate.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on top of the pastry and fill with dried beans, bake blind at 200˚C for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions until soft.
- Place the pilchards and sauce into a mixing bowl and mix in the onions, evaporated milk, eggs and ¾ of the cheese.
- Season to taste and spoon into the baked pastry shell.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Serve with a crisp green side salad.